Here are six simple tech steps that will help you save energy:
- Turn off your monitor — and your computer when it’s not in use or scheduled to run updates.
- Use power management settings (for more on using these settings in Windows 7, Vista, or XP, see: https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahce.html).
- Turn off peripherals such as printers, scanners, speakers, external drives, and gaming systems when they’re not in use.
- Use a laptop instead of a desktop (they typically consume less power).
- To make it easier to power things down, plug all your electronics into one power strip (be sure to shut down your computer before you flip the switch).
- When buying a new computer, make sure it has an Energy Star label.
Learn more at: