Cyber Monday kicked off the online holiday shopping season just a few days ago. Did you score some amazing deals?
No matter when or where you shop online, here are some tips to help you stay safe:
- Confirm that you’re dealing with a legitimate company by checking with the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org).
- Make sure you are at a secure, encrypted website before submitting personal information (look for “https” in the URL).
- When choosing a password for online retail accounts, don’t use anything derived from easily available information.
- Always read website privacy policies, so you understand how your personal information will be protected and used.
- Keep your computer secure using spam filters, antivirus and anti-spyware software, and a firewall.
- Consider establishing a single-use virtual credit card number for additional security.
For other ways to protect yourself online, visit: